Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Giving Up The Attack

For some time I had been opposing someone I had never met.  I was vilifying his image, or perhaps it was a mirage since it seemed like a person.  Attacking him seemed the thing to do.  But then I met him. He was human, which came as a surprise.  It is true he is not always good, nor is he so good right now. But now I know him and so he is not so easily attacked.  He has offered to negotiate.  He says he wants to try to work it out.  It was easier to attack.  The rules were clearer.

I have to assume he is acting in good faith, though he may not be.  I can hope our militancy forced his negotiation.  Whatever the reason, we have now to set aside the fighting, no matter how dearly we loved it.  We have to try trusting each other, giving one another a chance.  If we don't nothing will happen.  The choice is more hatred.  We tried that.  It made no one any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment