Monday, June 17, 2013

Before You Were Born

Before James was born:

I don't know yet who you are.  I only know you are there.  There is as yet no name to call you.  In a way I have said similar things to God, and like him, I love you and the mystery of you, a mystery that will always be, one that is so secret and will become deeper and also clearer as it is lived.  Today, now that we know you are, we are scared, and hopeful, and thankful, and very happy.  We are these things and many more.  We have waited quite a while.  Some people -- people who think themselves so wise -- say you will change things and be something of a burden, and maybe even a problem.  Out of what passes for wisdom and experience, they glance at our apparently naive joy.  Let them.  It would be as inane to glance back with wisdom of our own.

If you change things, as I hope and expect you will, I am sure it will be to add to our lives without taking from our love, and if you are a burden it is one we have been anxious to carry -- a burden not unlike Augustine's wings of the bird.  As for problems, I suppose were we ever so honest all people are or cause problems.  It is part of our nature, but not the biggest part, not the part we remember as we grow old and it is beyond that wisdom that winks.  At this point, no matter who you are or will become, the future is as unknowable as the wonder that caused you to be and for that, for you, for God who is part of it all, I can only be thankful.  So, my friend, thanks.  We are looking forward to meeting you.  Love made you.  It will sustain us as well, making all of us more for being together.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Thanks, Dad, and thanks, James, for this project.

    ReplyDelete