Sunday, May 11, 2014

Trying to Explain Church

James wants to know why Church has to be so elaborate, why religious belief cannot be at least as vital with less ceremony.  It is a reasonable question and I was left having to rely on tradition as an explanation and community worship as our reason for being there.  I was satisfied with neither aspect of my explanation, and I was wondering later why I was there.  I think it is like so much of what I do.  It is looking for a link to a different time and hopefully a bridge that will link it to now.  It is hoping for the vitality I thought was there.  It is that tradition or continuity that brings me, sometimes reluctantly, to Church, though I wonder was it there even when I had thought it was, or wished it might be.  It is not yet just a habit.  Hopefully it will not become just that since that would not be reason enough to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment