Thursday, June 20, 2013

Putting Aside the Roles

He asked, "Who do they say I am?"  They told him, "You are called Elijah and John.  They say you are the prophet."  And he asked what they had chosen or wished him to be, what name did they suppose.  Because their name for him was his name; he said it was true.  It was telling them:  put aside what they expect; see me as me.  And to them he was saying the same thing:  be who you are, nothing else.  Don't be John or Jeremiah.  Don't be the prophet; don't even be me.  Be yourselves.

Play no roles, even if it is expected or demanded by people who seem to know.  Be done with pretense, no matter who demands it or even if you wish it were so.  As I am, so are you.  Be you completely and well.  No more is asked, needed, or of value.  No more acting.  No role, no part to be played.  Put them aside.  No matter what they seem to add, they have nothing to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment